Tuesday, October 7, 2014

First Blog Post

This is my first blog post... EXCITING! I hope to share with you many ideas and strategies to help improve your literacy instruction. I have been teaching fifth grade English Language Arts for 3 years and I absolutely love it. I am constantly learning and trying new things to grow as a literacy instructor.

In my class I use a variety of strategies such as guided reading, balanced literacy, whole class read alouds, and centers. We are constantly changing based upon what suits the content and what the children need at that time.

Currently, we are working on a Key Ideas and Details of Fiction Unit while we are reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. First of all, WE ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE BOOK (Yes, I love it too!) It is such a fun book to share with the class and every day I have kids that ask to read at least one more chapter! They are also pretty excited about the fact that we are having a celebration after we finish reading the book and they get to have a chocolate party!

I really like using novel studies because it gets the students excited about reading and provides them with an opportunity to dive into a rich piece of literature. With that being said, I hope to have a Charlotte's Web Novel Activity Packet up and running on my Teachers Pay Teachers store soon.


Chasity

No comments:

Post a Comment